STABILITY STUDIES OF COHESIVE SOIL WITH NANO MAGNESIUM AND ZINC OXIDE
Cohesive soils are found all over the world and can cause significant harm to infrastructure and structures. Many innovative ways to improve the strength of cohesive soils are being explored to decrease the negative qualities and make them appropriate for construction applications. The availability of novel materials, in addition to traditional procedures, has boosted the area of soil reinforcement. In the realm of soil stabilisation, the inclusion of nanomaterials is one of the newest creative ideas. In geotechnical engineering, nanotechnology could be viewed as dual methods: the composition of the soil can be found at the nanoscale, and soil modification can be accomplished at the atomic and molecular levels. The goal of this research is to see if it is possible to stabilise cohesive soil using two distinct nanomaterials and to look at the changes in geotechnical parameters. Nanocrystalline magnesium oxide and nano zinc oxide is included in the soil with (0.25, 0.5, 0.75 and 1) w/% and trials were executed to evaluate the optimal percent and strength properties of the mixtures.
2. Z. H.Majeed, M. R.Taha, I. T. Jawad, Stabilization of soft soil using nanomaterials. Research Journal of Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology, 8 (2014) 4, 503-509.
3. S.Pusadkar , S.Bakhade, A. I. Dhatrak, Effect of Nano-copper on performance of black cotton soil. International Journal of Engineering Research and Application, , (2017), 34-39.
4. B. A.Mir, S. H. Reddy,. Enhancement in shear strength characteristics of soft soil by using nanomaterials. In Sustainable Environment and Infrastructure, Springer, Cham, 2021, 421-435.
5. M. R.Taha, I. T.Jawad, Z. H. Majeed, Treatment of soft soil with nano-magnesium oxide. In Proceedings of the 5th International Symposium on Nanotechnology in Construction, Chicago, IL, USA, 2015, 24-26.
6. R.Chen, L .Zhang, M.Budhu, Biopolymer stabilization of mine tailings. Journal of geotechnical and geoenvironmental engineering, 139 (2013) 10, 1802-1807.
7. M. S. Biju, D. N. Arnepalli. Biopolymer-modified soil: prospects of a promising green technology. In Geotechnical Characterisation and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 2019, 163-169.
8. J. K. Mitchell, J. C. Santamarina, Biological considerations in geotechnical engineering. Journal of geotechnical and geoenvironmental engineering, Springer, Singapore, 131 (2005). 10, 1222-1233.
9. S.Balamurugan, L.Ashna, P.Parthiban, Synthesis of nanocrystalline MgO particles by combustion followed by annealing method using hexamine as a fuel. Journal of Nanotechnology, 2014.
10. K.Li, P.Yan, C. Zhang, D.Xue, Wet cation exchange route to semiconductor alloys: the case study of MgxZn1–xO. International journal of nanotechnology, 10(2013) 1-2, 22-29.
11. E.Vargas, E.Smolentseva, M. Estrada, , S.Fuentes, A.Simakov, M.López-Cisneros, S.Beloshapkin, CO oxidation over gold nanoparticles on Mg (OH) 2 and MgO subjected to different redox treatments. International Journal of Nanotechnology, 13(2016) 1-3, 208-226.